State Housing Initiatives Partnership Program (SHIP)
The State Housing Initiatives Partnership program (SHIP) provides funds to local governments as an incentive to create partnerships that produce and preserve affordable homeownership and multifamily housing. The program was designed to serve very low, low and moderate income families.
SHIP funds are distributed on an entitlement basis to all 67 counties and 52 Community Development Block Grant entitlement cities in Florida. The minimum allocation is $350,000.
In order to participate, local governments must establish a local housing assistance program by ordinance; develop a local housing assistance plan and housing incentive strategy; amend land development regulations or establish local policies to implement the incentive strategies; form partnerships and combine resources in order to reduce housing costs; and ensure that rent or mortgage payments within the targeted areas do not exceed 30 percent of the area median income limits, unless authorized by the mortgage lender.
SHIP dollars may be used to fund emergency repairs, new construction, rehabilitation, down payment and closing cost assistance, impact fees, construction and gap financing, mortgage buy-downs, acquisition of property for affordable housing, matching dollars for federal housing grants and programs, and homeownership counseling. SHIP funds may be used to assist units that meet the standards of chapter 553.
- Up to $45,000.00 per homeowner available for HOMEBUYER ASSISTANCE
- Up to $35,000.00 per homeowner available for RENOVATION/REHABILITATION ASSISTANCE
- Both types of SHIP assistance are secured by a recorded note and mortgage with 0% interest
- Outstanding Homebuyer Assistance balance forgiven after 30 years; Outstanding Renovation Assistance balance forgiven after 20 years
- Applications processed on a “First Qualified, First Served“ basis for both programs
- Under the Renovation/Rehabilitation Assistance program, first priority is given to Special Needs homeowners
- Only one SHIP assistance program can be used per household
|Percentage||50%||80 %||120 %|