Local Mitigation Strategy
Local Mitigation Strategy Working Group
Local Mitigation Strategy is a plan that anticipates damage and disruption that could result from a hurricane or other disaster, and then determines how best to eliminate or at least reduce this damage. The Local Mitigation Strategy Planning Group (LMSPG ) is a coalition of representatives who work together to identify risks and to set priorities for addressing these risks.
Once these priorities have been determined by the Planning Group, the county is eligible for grant money through Florida’s Division of Emergency Management. Grant funds are intended to bring mitigation projects to fruition which would end up on a wish list otherwise. Part of Monroe County’s eligibility for this grant money is determined by meeting its requirement to facilitate LMSPG meetings.
Past hazard mitigation grants have provided funding for critical facilities such as City of Marathon Fire Station 14, Hurricane shutters for Marathon Airport, Panama City and Miami, funded drainage projects in Floridatown, and aided in acquiring property that was subject to repeated flooding in the Panhandle.
Local Mitigation Strategy Plan
View the latest Monroe County and Incorporated Municipalities Local Mitigation Strategy (LMS) Plan (PDF) (large document, allow extra time to upload).
The public is invited and welcome to attend. For more information, please contact Jose Tezanos at Monroe County Emergency Management at 305-289-6325.
- LMS Step One: Preliminary Identified Initiative (Notice of Intent) (PDF)
- LMS Step Two: Characterization Form (PDF)
- LMS Goals and Priority Hazards (PDF)
- LMS Project Prioritization Form (PDF)
- Monroe County Local Mitigation Strategy Defined (PDF)
- Benefit Cost Analysis Tool (PDF)
- The Florida Greenbook: Environment and Historic Preservation Compliance (PDF)
- Hazard Analysis Toolbox (PDF)
- Hazard Mitigation Assistance Unified Guidance (PDF)
Initiative Master List
- 2018 Irma Residential Survey (PDF)
- 2018 January Minutes (PDF)
- 2017 October Presentation (PDF)
- 2017 April Minutes (PDF)
- 2016 November Minutes (PDF)
- 2015 March Minutes (PDF)
- 2015 January Minutes (PDF)
- 2014 September Minutes (PDF)
- 2013 March Minutes (PDF)
- 2012 May Minutes (PDF)
- 2011 June Minutes (PDF)
- 2015 January Meeting Roster (PDF)
- 2013 March Meeting Roster (PDF)
- 2012 May Meeting Roster (PDF)
- 2011 June Meeting Roster (PDF)