Board of County Commissioners
The Florida Constitution states the governing body of each county shall be a Board of County Commissioners composed of five members serving staggered terms of four years, except when otherwise provided by the county charter.
After each 10-year census, the Board of County Commissioners shall divide the county into districts of contiguous territory as nearly equal in population as practicable. One commissioner residing in each district shall be elected by the electors of the county.
Duties of the Board of County Commissioners
- Review and pass the County budget and levy taxes.
- Make appropriations for the operation of the County as identified in the budget.
- Authorize bonds for capital improvements.
- Manage County properties through the County Administrator.
- Confirm division and department heads appointed by the County Administrator
- Appoint special boards and committees.
- Establish policy which, through the County Administrator, filters down to department heads and others who carry it out.
- Present ordinances to the public for hearings and then vote whether or not to adopt them for inclusion in the County Code.
From Left: Commissioner Michelle Lincoln, Commissioner David Rice, Mayor Craig Cates, Mayor Pro Tem Holly Merrill Raschein, and Commissioner Jim Scholl.
|District 1||District 2||District 3||District 4||District 5|
|Mayor||Commissioner||Commissioner||Commissioner||Mayor Pro Tem|
|Craig Cates||Michelle Lincoln||Jim Scholl||David Rice||Holly Merrill Raschein|
|500 Whitehead St||243 Key Deer Blvd||530 Whitehead St||9400 Overseas Hwy||102050 Overseas Hwy|
|Suite 102, Key West||Big Pine Key||Suite 102, Key West||Suite 210, Marathon||Suite 234, Key Largo|
The District Breakdown
- District 1: East part of Key West, Stock Island, Key Haven
- District 2: Boca Chica through 7 Mile Bridge, including the north side of US 1 to "Behind the Airport" in Marathon
- District 3: West part of Key West
- District 4: Marathon, not including District 2, through Plantation Key with a small west end of Tavernier
- District 5: Tavernier through Ocean Reef
- District Breakdown Map and Precincts - Monroe County Supervisor of Elections
The Monroe County Board of County Commissioners usually meets on the third Wednesday of every month at 9 a.m. at one of the following three locations:
|Nelson Government Center||102050 Overseas Hwy
Key Largo, FL 33037
|March, June, September, December|
|Marathon Government Center||2798 Overseas Hwy
Marathon, FL 33050
|January, April, July, October|
|Harvey Government Center||1200 Truman Avenue
Key West, FL 33040
|February, May, November
No Meeting in August
If you are a person with a disability who needs special accommodations in order to participate in meeting proceedings, please contact the County Administrator’s Office, by phoning 305-292-4441, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m., no later than five (5) calendar days prior to the scheduled meeting; if you are hearing or voice impaired, call "711."
Mon, Oct 9County Offices Closed - Columbus DayRead On
Wed, Oct 18BOCC & Land Authority Regularly Scheduled MeetingRead On
Wed, Nov 8BOCC & Land Authority Regularly Scheduled MeetingRead On
Fri, Nov 10County Offices Closed - Veterans Day ObservedRead On
Thu, Nov 23County Offices Closed - Thanksgiving DayRead On
Fri, Nov 24County Offices Closed - Thanksgiving FridayRead On
Wed, Dec 13BOCC & Land Authority Regularly Scheduled MeetingRead On
Mon, Dec 25County Offices Closed - Christmas DayRead On
Mon, Jan 1County Offices Closed - New Year's DayRead On