All of Monroe County is identified as a coastal floodplain and may be subject to flooding. If you are buying property, Monroe County encourages inquiries from lenders, real estate representatives, insurance agents, and property owners to request flood information before buying or selling land in the county.
New DRAFT FEMA COASTAL FLOOD MAPS for Monroe County:
Review of these drafts is important, as changes to maps may impact development standards and future insurance requirements and costs. Staff will be reviewing and gathering comments on these maps. Click HERE for more information.
Know Your Property Flood Zone and Build Smart:
Please refer to these links for flood-related information on building requirements, flood zone, map links, and safety:
- Community Rating System
- Building Requirements
- FEMA Flood Zone Maps
- County Flood Map Interactive Application
- Additional Documents & Resources
Mobile Homes/Manufactured Units
- Mobile Home and Manufacture Unit Replacement Information Opens a New Window.
- Checklist Form to Determine Mobile Home and Manufacture Unit Replacement Information Opens a New Window.
- Building Permit Requirements for Mobile Home and Manufactured Units Opens a New Window.
Protect Your Property and Yourself
For information on how to insure and protect your property, as well as be aware of flood warnings from Monroe County Emergency Management.
- Insure Your Property
- Build Responsibly/Protect Your Property
- Flood Warning System
- Protect Our Environment: Species Focus Area Permit Referral Process
Coastal Hazards and Coastal Mapping
- Coastal Hazards and Coastal Mapping: A Visual Guide Opens a New Window.
- An Introduction to FEMA Coastal Floodplain Mapping Opens a New Window.
Attend the multi-jurisdiction meeting on the Community Rating System Program for Public Information. Click here for meetings, agendas, and information.
Monroe County Building Department Floodplain Coordinators
Contact the Monroe County floodplain management office staff listed below for the latest information regarding the insurance inspection program, flood elevations, restrictions on development, and the permitting requirements for construction below base flood elevation.
If you see illegal development in the floodplains, report the issue through the Monroe County Request Tracker Opens a New Window. .