Solid Waste Management
Solid Waste, Yard Waste & Recycling Collection
Curbside trash collection is paid as a special assessment on the property owner’s annual tax bill for Monroe County residential properties; businesses must arrange for service with local providers.
Trash cans must not exceed 32 gallons in capacity, and should not weigh more than 50 pounds when full. Lids should be secured if left out at night or prior to collection days. If animals or weather scatter trash from your cans, you are responsible for cleaning the area within 24 hours of collection times; litter causes environmental degradation and hazards to wildlife. Trash cans should be brought in from the curb after collection.
Yard waste must be less than 4 inches in diameter and 4-foot lengths; it can be placed loosely in cans, or cut to 4-foot lengths and bundled. Cans or bundles should not exceed the 50-pound limit.
Monroe County contracts with four private franchise operators to provide solid waste, yard waste, and recycling for the Keys, excluding the City of Key West and the Village of Islamorada.
COUNTY COLLECTION HAULERS
- Stock Island to 7 Mile Bridge: Waste Management - 305-296-8297
- 7 Mile Bridge to MM 72.5: Marathon Garbage Service - 305-743-5165; email@example.com
- MM 91 to the County Line: Keys Sanitary Services - 305-451-2025
- Ocean Reef: 305-367-2611
MUNICIPAL COLLECTION HAULERS
- Key West: Waste Management - 305-296-8297
- Village of Islamorada: Advanced Disposal - 305-853-3433
County Transfer Stations
Solid waste disposal is currently handled by three transfer stations, where waste is prepared for transportation and disposal at out-of-county locations.
Residents can drop off items directly at the three County transfer stations between the hours of 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday.
- Cudjoe Key Transfer Station: Mile Marker 21.5 on Overseas Highway at Blimp Road, 305-745-2513
- Long Key Transfer Station: Mile Marker 68 on the Overseas Highway, 305-664-2263
- Key Largo Transfer Station:11180 County Road 905, 305-367-4236
Household Hazardous Waste and E-Waste Collections
- Household Hazardous Waste
Bulk Waste Pickup
Large items, including furniture, carpeting, appliances, can be removed free for residents. Call your service provider to schedule a pickup. See the hauler map above.
The mission of Solid Waste Management is to provide for cost-efficient and environmentally proper collection, transportation, and disposition of solid waste generated in the county, excluding the City of Key West and the Village of Islamorada, as defined by various statutes, ordinances, and agreements.